Thursday, June 22, 2006

Joyfulness

Rejoice always. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:18

I don’t usually study my Bible topically, but a few days ago I decided to study the topic of joy. I went to look up verses on “joy” and “rejoicing”, and I was amazed at how many there were…over 400! (Bible Gateway makes topical searches very easy!) Joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22). It should be continually increasing in my life as I grow in my sanctification.

Joy isn’t just a nice feeling when everything is going perfectly. Many people in the New Testament, like Paul, rejoiced even when things were extremely difficult. True joy is not fleeting, but is based on what I know to be true about Christ and His word. I can have joy because no matter what is happening, as a Christian, I have a different, eternal perspective. I have a personal relationship with the One who knows and is in control of all things!

What keeps us from having joy? Sin is one of them. David prayed in Psalm 51 that God would restore unto him the joy of His salvation. We can’t be joyful if our lives are full of sin. We also won’t be joyful if we aren’t spending time reading the Bible…God’s Word is a source of joy! Jeremiah 15:16 – Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart.

There is joy in serving Jesus
Joy amid the darkest night
For I've learned the wondrous secret
And I'm walking in the light

There is joy, joy
Joy in serving Jesus
Joy that throbs within my heart
Every moment, every hour
As I draw upon His power
There is joy, joy
Joy that never shall depart

* Rachel *

No comments: