Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Glorify God

What do you talk about?? What do you say. Are you glorifying God in everything you say and do?

1 Corinthians 6:20
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

In one of our soccer games last week, we played a team that wasn't very kind in their words. But you know what happened? Our team and I would talk back to them like they were talking to us, which was not glorifying to God. And you know what I noticed? We didn't play as well. But then the next day we had another game against them. This game there was less talking bad against them. And guess what happened? We all played better and worked better as a team. We weren't all focused on bringing the other team down. I believe that God was with us and helped us because we were glorifying His name and being a good example.

We need to glorify God in everything we do, even in a soccer game or in taking out the trash. God will bless us and be with us if we obey Him and glorify Him and do His will.

1 comment:

Rachel R said...

I think it’s important to remember that failing is not what makes us hypocrites. No matter how genuine our desire to serve God, we will all sin, but “a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again.” (Proverbs 24:16) I think a lot of times the authorities that are called “hypocrites” are really leaders who love God, but are sinners like the rest of us.

I do agree that there are people who are inconsistent. They want to seem godly, but don’t want Christ to change every area of their lives. I read a quote once that said, “it is not enough for a gardener to love flowers, he must also hate weeds.” It is very easy for anyone to say they love God, but it is another thing to hate sin and to work hard to keep it out of our lives. I think lots of people want to seem godly, but also keep the worldly things they do. You can’t have both!

I love the words from this song, “May the mind of Christ my Savior live in me from day to day, by his love and power controlling all I do and all I say.” Like Kristopher said, it could make a huge difference if we truly desired to please Christ and be glorifying to God in every area.

I think one of the biggest things we could do is to really pray specifically for one another’s spiritual growth! To pray for God to keep our hearts bound to His, as we are so prone to wander, to pray for God to give us a passionate, consistent, holy walk. Look at the things Paul prayed for believers in places like Ephesians 1:15-21. We should pray that as individuals, and as a youth group, we could be glorifying to God in every area!

“That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 15:6